Access this episode on demand, as we delve into how the pandemic created a cyber fraud epidemic and we chat with the man poking holes in Apple’s app store and the multi-million dollar scams operating on within the app store.
The latest governance, risk and compliance news from around the world
Catherine Chapman, cybersecurity journalist and media theorist, for your weekly news on all things governance, risk and compliance. Catherine will (virtually) travel around the world, providing commentary on the weeks biggest stories. Expect to hear the latest news on data protection, privacy, cybersecurity, financial crime, regulations, governance, compliance, risk and much more.
Panel Discussion: The cyber fraud explosion: how the pandemic catapulted cyber fraud
Since early last year, when the global pandemic began its worldwide spread, there has been a growing volume of losses caused by increasingly sophisticated scams and cyber fraud.
Between February and March 2020 spam messages multiplied 220 times - while malicious URLS increased 260 percent. In response there has been a growth in banks fraud departments and teams. We’re joined by a panel of experts as they discuss how the pandemic created an epidemic of cyber fraud, and what organisations and individuals can be doing to combat it.
Our expert panel includes:
- Joe Tidy, BBC News
- Sean Doyle, Cybersecurity, Digital Trust and anti-Financial Crime at World Economic Forum
- Sujata Dasgupta, Global Head Financial Crime, Tata Consultancy & winner ‘Fraud Prevention 2021’ by Themis
- Johan Gerber, Executive Vice President Security & Cyber Innovation at MasterCard
- Steve Leach, Head of Cyber and Innovation at North East Business Resilience Centre
- Guy Sheppard, Head of APAC Financial Crime and Cyber Initiatives, SWIFT
Fireside chat: An exploration of app store scams and the man investigating the multi-million dollar scams Kosta Eleftheriou
Kosta Elfetheriou is investigating how a $64-billion-a-year app store isn’t catching blatant scams. Join our host Joe Tidy, BBC News as he delves into the world of a scam app hunter:
- How Kosta became a ‘scam app hunter’
- What some of the biggest fraudulent and scammy apps he’s found
- How the ecosystem of scams works - fake reviews etc
- What he’s building to help customers navigate this murky world.
GRC TV: A weekly digital broadcast on all things governance, risk and compliance
- Currently reading
GRCTV: The cyber fraud epidemic & app store scams